Serves: 4 people
- 2 Large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Coconut or vegetable oil
- 16 Californian Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ tsp. Chinese all-spice
- 2 tsp. Fresh lemon juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1½ cups quartered mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. Chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tsp. Sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Powdered mustard
- ¼ tsp. Sea salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 680g extra-lean ground sirloin
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups rocket lettuce
- 2 medium vine-ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 Whole grain buns
- 115g crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium to high heat; add onions to pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium to low and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about an hour or until very soft and light caramel in colour.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. (May be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.)
- To prepare jam, place dates, water and Chinese all-spice in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until jam has a thick, syrupy consistency.
- Stir in lemon juice and zest and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature. Place in a sealable container, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or until chilled. (May be prepared up to 1 week in advance and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.)
- To prepare burgers, place mushrooms, parsley, paprika, mustard powder, salt and garlic in a food processor; pulse until mixture is coarsely ground.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; add sirloin and mix well. Shape into four 1.5cm thick patties.
- Transfer to oiled baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over medium to high heat. Mist burgers with non- stick spray and grill for 5 minutes on each side for medium-well.
- Grill buns until golden brown and toasted.
- Place equal amounts of rocket lettuce and tomatoes on bun bottoms.
- Top with burgers, jam, onions, crumbled blue cheese and bun tops.